Monday 7 September 2015

....a lightness of touch….

For many reasons I am drawn to the art of William Kentridge.
A gifted South African artist, his works are rich, powerful and thought provoking.

Many of his works focus on the social and political issues of his country.....while others evoke memories and stories of childhood.

His charcoal drawings are fabulous.…as are his linocuts and etchings…..black + white + erasures + under-drawings + smudges…..maybe a few fine lines of red ink, and maybe a slick of sky blue pastel.
When you look at the works in 'Drawn from Africa', you can easily see that they've been created by a master.  Some people just have it….and William Kentridge has it in spades!

Some were comical, some monumental in size, others subtle and poetic….his animated video created from multiple drawings (+ erasures) was intriguing.
All seemed to have that 'lightness of touch' that truly great artists seem to possess.

Unfortunately, my photographic images of his work, do not, in any way, capture the gorgeousness of the exhibition….they're simply a 'little teaser' for the art of William Kentridge.
There's lots of William Kentridge on youtube if you want a better look…..a great way to refresh and be inspired!

Here's "Breathe"….hope you like it.
Ciao

Robyn
You may also like:
http://parisallons-y.blogspot.com.au/2015/02/succinct-and-to-point.html








13 comments:

  1. Hi, dear Robyn! Some people have it. William Kentridge has it in spades. So do you, my friend. I don't have it and wish that I did. It must be very satisfying to have a vision and know how to achieve it using the right materials and techniques. That video was absolutely fascinating. Thank you for showing me some of the beautiful work in a variety of forms created by this talented South African artist, a man who indeed has a lightness of touch.

    Enjoy your day and the rest of your week, dear friend Robyn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a star Shady!

    Thanks for your lovely comment.

    Ciao

    R

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not know this artist and am pleased you helped me discover him. I am going to look at more of his work. Thanks for a great post on William Kentridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic dear Vagabonde.....he's a very interesting artist. Have a look at how he makes his animated videos.....I think you'd like them! They're all on Youtube....enjoy!

      Ciao

      R

      Delete
  5. I really do love his work and was not familiar with him until now - thanks for sharing this great artist Robyn. I enjoyed the video, watching him one can almost see inside his mind and understand what makes it tick.
    I think your photos are very good - you gave us a great mix of pieces and I love seeing interested people looking at art, as in the last pic.

    Happy week - Mary

    P.S. How nice that was your hubby in the last post - I had no idea - and I love his sneakers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci beaucoup Madame.....from Pierre (the hubster)!

      Really glad you liked William Kentridge Mary....I think he's an amazing artist.

      Glorious here in Brisbane today Mary....when are you coming back to enjoy the sunshine et al in The Sunshine State???

      Ciao

      R

      Delete
    2. Robyn I'd be back tomorrow if it were possible, and Bob loved his first visit there so much many years ago (without me), and hopes to return. I know we'd have a ball! Have to save our pennies and try to make it within the next couple of years - we're getting long in the tooth now!!

      I did write to Sibella. Her 'team' sent a nice reply - thanked me for the heads up for Sibella on my blog, and invited me to stop in the studio when next in Sydney!!!

      Hugs - Mary

      P.S. Cold front coming through here tonight - that means dropping from 90's to low 80's which I will love. Still far too warm to wear the red coat though - later in October perhaps!

      Delete
    3. Well Mary when you and Bob next visit Brisbane there'll be a glass of champagne waiting for you both on my deck! Look forward to it!

      Ciao

      R

      Delete
  6. Thanks you so much for introducing us to this fabulous artist. It is so enriching to look at art and I love learning about a new artist. Your enthusiasm is contagious! Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fabulous Sunday. Pleased you liked William....and my blog!

      Ciao

      Robyn

      Delete
  7. Thanks Robyn for sharing more of WK's fascinating work!!! That video truly expresses a lightness of touch.....absolutely beautiful....I watched it 3 times!! I Can appreciate why you are drawn to his work. The video has inspired me to put to use, pieces of flaked, rusted paint that had peeled off a metal sheet - ( I've been putting these pieces aside for over 12 months just awaiting a creative moment, or some direction). Thanks to your always inspirational blog you've provided the trigger I need. Have a great Sunday. Jude

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds great Jude.....can't wait to see those rusty fragments in their 2nd life! Love the idea....very wabi sabi!

      Ciao

      R

      Delete